Alright my lovelies, it’s time to delve back into one of my all-time favorite shows: Once Upon a Time!!! I’ve been trying to keep up with season five online (which is a bit of a nightmare really, I’m not used to dealing with commercials and weeklong breaks!) but I’m still reeling from all the shocks and surprises of season four and believe me, there were many! So let’s get to it!
Moonstonemaiden’s Favorite OUAT Season Four Moments:
1) When Snow lost her cool! – Or as I like to call it, the epic “Buy a flashlight!” moment, this is hands down the funniest moment in all of season four! It’s too much, really, just watch and see for yourselves:
2) When Hook had a cellphone – A 2oo year old pirate with a modern technical device…um yeah, let the hilarity ensue! The fact that Hook eventually broke down and revealed his complete cluelessness to Elsa had me laughing up a storm. But you know, kudos for trying Killian!
3) When Elsa trusted Emma – Yay for this epic friendship! Emma seriously needs someone her age with powers that she can relate to and although I love her bestie-ship with Regina, it’s really Elsa who understands Emma’s fear concerning her magic. And when Elsa braves the danger and takes Emma’s hand I just adore her! Here’s hoping we get more of Arendelle royalty in upcoming seasons!
4) The Spell of Shattered Sight – Not only was it gut-wrenching to see all my favorite couples and friends separate out of fear of harming those they loved most, but it was also unexpectedly hilarious. I wasn’t sure whether to be teary with all the goodbyes (Hook/Emma and Robin/Regina anyone!) or to laugh my butt off when Snow and Charming started bickering over how to swaddle a baby and if the stroller was really under warranty! But perhaps the best bit was Snow and Regina’s all-out battle in the police station and their subsequent laugh-fest once the spell wore off and they realized what was happening!
5) When Emma Loved Ingrid -I thought the whole backstory of Emma and Ingrid was incredibly moving. It’s so nice to know that Emma had at least one loving family situation in her youth, and even though Ingrid was flawed, you could see the love between them. I think they would have made a wonderful family if things had turned out differently, and it makes me wonder how different their lives might have been.
6) When Anna spoke her vows – I loved Anna in this show, she was just so outrageously adorable, but when she said her vows to Kristoff as they came closer and closer to drowning, I almost lost it. To see her actually lose hope was shocking and so very moving, and yes I am actually tearing up as I type this! If nothing else, this proved just how much she truly loved Kristoff — who, I must add, I ADORED in this show!
7) When the Snow Queen sacrificed herself – Ingrid was one of those characters I didn’t care for a first and then ended up loving, so when she gave her life so that the town could live, it broke my heart! She just wanted the love of her family and forgiveness and really who doesn’t want these two things?! Between the music in the background and the little montage of her joining her sisters as children again, as though given a second chance, I was basically a weepy mess on the end of the couch.
8) When Hook tried to warn Emma – For the love of all that is magical Rumple, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH YOU?! Stealing Hook’s heart and using him to help with nefarious deeds is not cool! But when Hook grabbed Emma’s hand and tried to communicate via their love I just about melted!
9) When Belle banished Rumple – What the Hell Rumple?!!! Sorry, but basically this wasn’t the best season for Rumbelle lovers considering Rumple had a backwards slide into darkness, but when Belle forced him to the town-line and then OUT of Storybrooke, I FREAKED!!! What was happening?! Rumple had been doing so well and then wham, out of the blue his darker tendencies creep back out and now he’s gone?! AGHHHHHH!!!No one messes with my Rumbelle!!!
10) When the heroes faced their inner-darkness – One thing I did enjoy (as painful as it was) was all the moments when the Heroes finally battled their own inner-evils. Belle was the first, revealing that she’d selfishly not helped Anna in time, then Charming and Snow revealed the horrible truth of what they did to ensure that Emma was born good. Emma mourned the loss of a long-ago friend she’d pushed aside, and even Regina (now firmly a hero in my book) flirted with the idea of returning to her dark ways. I think it’s important to show that these great icons faltered along the way, they aren’t just 100% good all the time. They make horrible, life-altering mistakes, but they do their best to pick themselves up and make the world a better place.
11) When Ursula sang – Considering Ursula is my favorite Disney Villain(ess) ever, I was ecstatic to see her brought to the show for more than that one episode in season three (when Regina pretended to be her). Ursula’s backstory is another example of the writers of the show playing around with the fairy tales origin stories and creating something new but yet recognizable! I love that Ursula was basically Ariel (or a pre-Ariel) and that she and Hook had a semi-sweet history together.
You know… before Hook stole her singing voice (to get back at her human-hating and blackmailing dad) and pissed her the HELL off!
12) When Zelena revealed herself – Marian’s not real!!! I’ve never been so happy to see the end of a OUAT character lol!I mean, not that I’m not sad that Zelena killed the real Marian and took her place and all, but as a Outlaw Queen fan, let me just say: thank goodness Zelena’s back! I was starting to freak out there that another one of my couples was going to be cruelly split apart, so as much as I wanted to kick Zelena’s butt for interfering , I was also so happy to see her and not Marian!
13) When Maleficent met her daughter – I was so happy to see Maleficent back this season in all her stylish glory, but witnessing her emotional journey to be reunited with her daughter (Emma’s pushed away friend) Lily (who was inadvertently lost after Snow and Charming cursed her with all of Emma’s darkness) was one of my favorite parts of this season. I love the two of them together, how Maleficent was the perfect person to love Lily, even despite her darkness, and I look forward to seeing more of them as Maleficent teaches her daughter all about being a “scary dragon bitch”.
14) When Regina fought for happiness – Considering the devastation Regina can unleash when her happiness is taken from her (the entirety of seasons one and two anyone?), I was so thrilled to see her stand up and fight for her right to be happy. She doesn’t give up, or turn dark, or curse anyone, but finally takes matter into her own hands the right way! Go Regina!!!
15) The Sorcerer’s Apprentice – This was a cute throwback to one of Disney’s most well known films, and it was nice seeing it make it’s mark in Once Upon a Time’s history. And the sorcerer himself has me wondering…
16) When August returned – YES!!! How I’ve missed my favorite motorcycle riding puppet-man! There for a time I was rooting for him and Emma in season one, but now I think they are simply the best besties ever (other than my own bestie that is)! August is just so good for Emma, he’s pretty much perfect friend material and I love that their bond had Hook worried (although needlessly). But now that he’s returned he needs to stay put! But then, Pinocchio is not one to be tamed and tethered!
17) When Disney was an Author – Not only did August deliver one of the best OUAT speeches ever, but he also revealed that Disney himself was an Author back in the day! How awesome is that?! Please excuse me as I sit here and SQUEE!!!
18) When Henry went into the book – It’s about time Henry got to have an adventure and be the hero! He demonstrated just how great he would be to have around in the Enchanted Forest and finally got to join his family inside a fairy tale book (albeit a dark one)!
19) When Hook was a sweet coward – He may be the cutest, sweetest, most romantic, goat’s-milk drinking coward ever and I just adored him and his flirtatious interactions with Emma! When she was teaching him how to sword-fight I nearly swooned, but when he died to protect her and Henry I about lost it. I know it was all in an alternate universe, but watching Hook die was heart wrenching!
20) When Emma said “I love you” – Emma’s fear was palpable when she desperately searched for Killian after returning to Storybrooke, and their reunion one of their sweetest moments ever, but it was when she finally admitted that she loved him that had me keeling over from all the feels. It took three seasons and three alternate Hooks before she could say it, but she said it! No take backs!!!
21) When Emma became the Dark One – Thanks to spoilers on Facebook (grrr) I knew this was coming, but watching it happen nearly ripped my heart out. But as sad as it was, I love that Emma did it to save Regina and that Regina can finally see just how much she means to Emma. And considering Emma’s darkness had been stripped away before birth, I think this will be an interesting thing for the Savior of Storybrooke to deal with. But oh, the heartache of her being ripped from her family and Hook!!!
22) The progression of Captain Swan – In one word: perfection. The show really gave Hook and Emma the time to forge something real after that epic season three finale kiss and I couldn’t be more appreciative! It wasn’t all roses and sunshine for Captain Swan, but they push forward TOGETHER and I just LOVE them like crazy!!! From date nights:
To epic reunion hugs, they are simple the best!
23) Henry and his ever-growing family – With two kickass stepdad-figures like Hook and Robin Hood, and two powerful mothers like Regina and Emma, plus the epicness of his father Bae, grandparents including Snow White, Charming, Rumple, and Belle (she’s his step-grandmother and I totally count this!), a possible step-brother (little Roland), and a brand-new uncle (baby Neal), Henry is surrounded by a loving, complicated, all-encompassing family and I LOVE IT!!! He’s has gone from the little unloved boy (well, he felt unloved anyway) to a teenager surrounded by people who love him more than anything and it just makes my heart so happy! This is the dream people!!!
And there you have it my lovelies, my favorite moments from season four! What were your favorite moments, did I miss any on this list? Do you have a favorite OUAT couple or bestie-ship? Let me know!