Happy Halloween my lovelies, I hope you all have a fun-filled, candy-strewn, and above-all safe holiday! Remember to keep an eye out for the impossible and eerily unexplainable because tonight magic is most definitely real and the Faeries will be a-roaming!
As your very own proud Irish lass, I’m wishing you all a happy and safe St. Patrick’s Day my lovelies!!!
And just for fun, here’s some of my favorite Ireland themed posts from the Moonstonemaiden vault:
Happy Valentine’s Day my lovelies! I hope you’re all having a wonderful relaxing day full of love and happiness, whether you’re single or taken, personally I’m having a movie day at home with my wonderful Mom and we’re starting things off with the third Twilight movie, Eclipse. I was hoping she would put the first one in so I could type in peace (I seriously dislike the first movie) but she put one in that I like and now I’m trying to think, type, and pay attention at the same time so if you get some random movie quote in here somewhere, you know my mind caved from the strain for a minute! What can I say, I’m not a gifted multi-tasker 😀
As an uber fan of the romance genre in general, I’ve come across my fair share of great love stories over the years that have stayed with me (way to many to count trust me, I usually won’t watch or read anything that doesn’t have at least a romantic sub-plot!). But only a handful of these stories and characters have been truly epic and risen above the others to become more to me, becoming a part of what that makes me who I am. So like the great Moonstonemaiden Valentine’s Day posts of the past (which you can revisit here and here), we’re celebrating this day of love with a list of epic romances! For this year’s list, the characters and stories come from books, plays, movies, and musicals, pretty much any source that yields awe-inspiring love stories other than the drabness that is the real world! So in no particular order of favorites (because I’m not that cruel to myself and I already have a headache to deal with), I give you:
Moonstonemaiden’s List of Epic Romances:
1) Juliet Capulet and Romeo Montague- From Shakespeare’s unforgettable and immortal play, Romeo and Juliet to me will always come to mind whenever I think of epic romances. Sure they were young and stupid and only knew each other for three days, but I’m a firm believer that these two experienced the most debatable and unexplainable forms of romance: love at first sight. This story has ranked as one of my favorites since I first read the play when I was 14 and throughout all its incarnations in both film and the written word, I have found it to remain epically beautiful.
2) Mary and Matthew Crawley- The central love story of Downton Abbey, the love between Mary and Matthew survived jealousy, rivalry, social class differences, initial hatred, and World War One. Matthew breaks down Mary’s outer shell and reveals the softness at her core, and she in turn loves him with a strength and honesty that I envy. Though their story was ultimately tragic, I can’t forget the way I felt watching their romance unfold over the seasons. Their lives weren’t perfect or easy but they fought for one another and ultimately they found each other, even if for only too-brief a time.
3) Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark- From Suzanne Collin’s phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy, this epic romance is set on an epic stage that few others would desire or even dream of. I’ve mentioned my love for Peeta before, but it’s his love for Katniss that is truly beautiful and inspiring in this series. Peeta’s heart shines throughout the books and movies and it’s wonderful to see a love like theirs grow.
4) Margaret Hale and Mr. Thornton- Elizabeth Gaskell gave the world this epic romance in her amazing novel North and South, and their smoldering love first caught my attention in the form of the 2004 BBC film adaption. Margaret’s naivety and Thornton’s rough demeanor lead to countless misunderstandings and a tension that just permeates the whole of the novel and movie. Simply put, Thornton and Margaret are glorious together.
5) Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester- Thank the heavens for Charlotte Bronte’s incredible novel Jane Eyre and the epic love story of unloved but independent Jane and her mysterious, tortured, and delicious employer Rochester. This epic romance is always at the top of my list and it never disappoints. If you have a spare four hours I suggest watching the BBC miniseries version, trust me, one episode in and you’ll be irrevocably hooked by the haunting drama of this ghostly love story.
6) Elphaba and Fiyero- This Wicked epic romance has one of the best soundtracks of all time! I mean Defying Gravity and As Long As You’re Mine, really could this romance be any better? I think not. The bookish outcast and the popular airhead make such a breathtaking pair and from the first moment they meet, you just know they’re going to change each others lives For Good.
7) Christine Daae and the Phantom- THE MOST EPIC OF THE EPIC ROMANCES: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, or at least I think so anyway. 😀 I can never get enough of the Phantom, his muse, and their tragic romance (and the soundtracks aren’t bad either!). He’s disfigured and she’s beautiful, he needs her and she fears him. The pain, the drama, the MUSIC. There’s just something so real and haunting about their love and it never leave you once you experience it.
8) Cathy Earnshaw and Heathcliff- Oh my stars for the love of Wuthering Heights, bless you Emily Bronte for this epic romance gem! In my mind this romance, the Phantom of the Opera, and the Beauty and the Beast tale, are all very similar, distinctive but connected in someway and I love every one of them. Heathcliff is brutal and Cathy is wild and their story is heartbreaking!
9) Belle and the Beast- My favorite fairytale romance of all time is definitely the most epic as well. There’s just something so endearing in the Beast’s plight for love and Belle’s discovery that she has found someone to understand her at last. I swoon every time I watch the Disney movie or read the book by Robin McKinley. And really, he gave her a library…you can’t get anymore epic than that!
10) Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler- Gone With The Wind is timeless and it’s love story is simply epic. No more needs to be said for this Southern charmer. Really…just go watch it 😀
11) Rose Dewitt Bukater and Jake Dawson- Titanic was the biggest movie ever when I was eight and it first came out. Ever since I saw them together for the first time, I knew Jack and Rose were the real thing and their love was epically legendary. Granted I think Rose could have let Jack float on the door and live as well, but other than that tiny miscalculation on their part, these two are pretty much perfect. Every rich girl needs a handsome poor artist to dance crazily with and to draw her wearing her new diamond necklace…only her new diamond necklace.
12) Padme Amidala and Anakin Skywalker- George Lucas gave us a galaxy far far away and a love story so epic that it can never leave our hearts, or mine anyway. I will forever heart Anakin and Padme and I doubt I will ever watch the third movie without hoping Ani chooses to remain a Jedi and not go on a destructive spree. I mean he became a Sith to protect her…epic much?
13) Bella Swan and Edward Cullen- Despite my being a firm Team Jacob fan nowadays, I wasn’t always. It took many years for me to see that Jacob was the man for me, but all that aside, once upon a time I was in love with Edward and Bella’s romance from Stephenie Meyers’ Twilight saga. It took me on one helluva emotional rollercoaster ride and became one of my favorite book series. My mom also fell in love with this epic romance and remains a staunch Edward fan…needless to say it gets a bit tense whenever we watch the movies. I don’t think she ever forgave me for going to college and coming back a Jacob fan, lol!
14) Calahada Saiiai and Mytheous Cadvarous- And last but certainly not least, the Epic couple from my own novel Believe!!! I’ve had this epic romance in my head since I was thirteen years old and their love story brought to life so many others as I have a whole list of WIP’s that are being written as quickly as I can write them. Which is admittedly slow, I’m not the fastest writer ever 😉 This really is the Epic Romance that changes my life the most! To read more about this epic romance please click here!
So what did you think of my list my lovelies, do you agree with my choices? Did I leave out any of your favorite Epic Romances? Leave me a comment and let me know!
Happy Halloween my lovelies!!! I hope y’all have a safe and fun-filled night with loads of candy and caramel apples (save me one!) and remember NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow! So good luck everyone and let’s write our way through November 😀
Happy Valentine’s Day my lovelies!!! I hope you are all having a great day, whether it’s spent with a significant other, friends, family, or solo! And solo means you get the entire box of chocolates to yourself guilt-free, and you don’t have to shave, so really…ENJOY IT 😀 Smile at the dopey love-struck goobers milling around you in a love-drunk daze, or at the dopey love-struck goober next to you (who’s staring at you so ardently he/she’s beginning to drool a little bit, which means he/she’s pretty secure in the knowledge that lingerie is in the near future), and know that Moonstonemaiden loves you just the way you are (Bridget Jones Reference!) and you are my favorite valentine ❤
I’m rather fond of the Valentine’s Day post from last year — probably because it’s a list of my favorite literary men! — but I think this year’s is pretty freaking awesome too 😉 I had so many idea’s for Valentine’s themed posts and I couldn’t quite decide which way I wanted to go, so I figured…what’s better than a collection of romantic-themed mini lists?! Nothing I tell you…NOTHING!!! Except a pile of love letters from Richard Armitage and other devastatingly handsome men, telling me of their undying love and devotion to me…but I digress.
Moonstonemaiden’s Collection of Romantic Mini-Lists!
Top Love Songs For My Characters:
1) Hero: Enrigue Iglesias, Never Alone: Barlow Girls — Rosalie and Jackson (The Butterfly Garden WIP)
2) Near To You: A Fine Frenzy — Freyton and Alaina (Battle-scarred WIP)
3) Beautiful Disaster: Kelly Clarkson, Almost Lover: A Fine Frenzy, Spanish Eyes: Backstreet Boys — Calahada and Mytheous (Believe)
4) You’ll Be In My Heart: Phil Collins — Ravenna and Varrick (Ashes WIP)
5) Just A Kiss: Lady Antebellum — Kalisada and Mordred (Prophecy WIP)
Top Five Romantic Disney Ballads:
1) Now I’ve Seen The Light: Tangled
2) Love: Robin Hood
3) Tale As Old As Time: Beauty and the Beast
4) Once Upon A Dream: Sleeping Beauty
5) A Whole New World: Aladdin
Top Five Romantic Movie Moments
1) Smithy regain his memory for the second time: Random Harvest
2) Tristan and Isolde (Entire Movie!)
3) Christian Forgives Satine, Satine Saves Christian: Moulin Rouge
4) All the Lyla and Louis moments: August Rush
5) The Bridge in the Rain scene: Sliding Doors
Top Fictional Relationships:
1) Katniss and Peeta: The Hunger Games
2) Muller and Chime: The Charmed Sphere
3) Ally and Nawat: The Trickester Series
4) Daine and Numair: The Wild Mage Series
5) Gemma and Kartik: The Gemma Doyle Trilogy
6) Clary and Jace: The Mortal Instruments Series
7) Mia and Michael: The Princess Diaries Series
8) Claire and Jamie: The Outlander Series
9) Sorcha and Red: The Daughter of the Forest
10) Liadan and Bran: Son of the Shadows
So there we have it, my Valentine’s Day romantic mini-lists! I hope you guys enjoy and let me know what you think! What songs do you’re characters share, and what romantic movie or couple tops your list?
And here’s some extra Valentine’s cards…just because I thought they were awesome (and they’re Downton themed)!
Hello my lovelies, I just wanted to let you know that I will probably not post again until after Christmas, but have no fear, I shall return! That being said, I’m sure I’ll still comment and like and continue to read my favorite blogs, I just won’t post anything of my own for a couple of days (or a week, lol). But before I begin my Christmas blogging vacation, I want to share something with y’all that the amazing Juliette from Vampire Maman created for all her friends in the blogosphere:
Isn’t it lovely! I think it’s utterly gorgeous 😀 If you haven’t checked out her awesome blog by now you need to just go ahead and hop on over and read all her brilliant posts and join in on the fun! Thank you Juliette, I hope you know how much I enjoy your writing as well as the funny Christmas-themed pictures of late, and I especially can’t wait to hear what happens next in that Mysterious Stranger story!
Well, that’s all from me for the moment folks. I hope everyone has a safe, adventurous, fun-filled, present-strewn, and generally love-infused holiday season! –Moonstonemaiden 😀
It’s almost that time of year and it’s not even December yet! The nauseating, endless loop of Christmas carols are already annoying the heck out of hard-working people who deserve to have the remainder of November be carol-free (is it too much to ask…really?) and surprise surprise, Christmas trees are already being sold in nearly every parking lot/empty space by the side of the road. I’m not a holiday-hater or anything but I do find it…odd, when people start gearing up for a holiday that isn’t even in the same month that we’re in now. I don’t start unpacking my Halloween stuff in August or my Easter stuff in January but maybe that’s just me. In my family there was no hint of Christmas in the air until December 1st and then and only then, did we dig in the hall closet for the ancient bag of ornaments and put up our tree (sadly we switched to a plastic tree sometime in my late teens, I’ll write more on my discontent concerning fake trees in a later blog). The tree (and any other decorations) stays in the living room until January 1st and then that bad boy is packed away and stored until December 1st rolls back around and we start the whole process over again.
I only mention this because over the weekend my best friend and I made a trip to Barnes and Noble (cue Heavenly music and random beams of light) and passed by a Christmas tree selling place/thing and since my friend knew the people running it we stopped in for a chat. I was surprised at how many families bought trees in the short fifteen minutes span that we were there and I couldn’t help but wonder why in the world they were buying their trees so soon? It doesn’t seems like the winter holiday season until December and yet people were dragging trees home left and right and it was still only November! Why are they doing this?! By starting this early you’re making the countdown to presents even longer and that just makes no sense! When I start counting down, I have twenty-five days until the boxes tormenting me under the tree are free-game and the brightly colored wrapping paper goes flying, but if you start decorating and preparing before December then you have more days to have to wait, count down, and cross off the calendar! (I know it all adds up to being the same amount of time, but it’s a mindset thing and you’re just making it seem like Christmas is farther away and I don’t see how that helps anything or anyone.)
But my personal ranting aside, I do love the time of year that is almost upon us and seeing and smelling all the trees made me feel like I was five years old again. Well, except for the fact that I’m almost as tall as the trees now but that’s beside the point. There really is something magical about being inside a massive tent and surrounded by enormous trees; it’s like you’re in a forest or a labyrinth that smells like sticky sap and all that’s missing is snow. (Sadly the only snow that’s going to be on these trees comes from a spray-can.) I admit that I enjoyed being swallowed up and lost inside the rows and rows of trees and that I could see how the excitement of the moment might entice someone to buy a tree early (not me, but someone). I forgive you early buyers thought I still maintain that you should try to hold out for December. However, there is no excuse for the Christmas music taking over the radio stations already, that needs to be held off until the week before Christmas so people don’t go nutty listening to the same songs over and over again!
What about y’all, do you start the holidays early or do you hold out for December? When does it start feeling like the holidays for you? And Christmas carols: love ’em or no?